For about four months, now, I have been searching desperately for a job. I had no idea what I wanted to do, at all. I applied for just about every job that I met the requirements for. Most of you recent graduates know exactly what I'm talking about when I say that this new economy sucks! There are absolutely no good jobs available. So I prayed and I prayed...And I prayed some more. I prayed that I'd find a job. I prayed that the job would find me. And finally, I prayed that the job would just fall in my lap. After all my many prayers, I started thinking about what I really wanted to do with my life. And I decided that I wanted to go back to school. Who is the best company to work for when you want your company to pay for grad school? A college/university, of course!
I began applying for any university jobs I could. A college close by was exceptionally desirable, so I applied for all that met that requirement. One day, I was especially disinterested in the job search, but I resolved myself to look and apply for just ONE job that I thought sounded especially interesting. That's exactly what I did. See, when I set a goal, I feel the need to meet that goal. Usually, I don't put time limits on my goals, though. haha! Anyways, I found a job at a university near my home for an office services specialist. It sounded perfect. You just needed a GED and a year of experience. A college grad should certainly be able to meet those standards, right? Yes! So, I applied.
Well, weeks went by of searching for other jobs. Applying for jobs with companies I knew nothing about. It got tiresome. I had basically given up. Months went by. I was exhausted! It is really terrible when you apply for over a hundred jobs and some of them don't even have the decency to tell you they aren't interested. And on top of that, it's very painful when company after company says "We regret to inform you that further consideration can not be extended at this time." What does that even mean?? I qualified for the job, but you can't even give me a chance? Trust me, there were many nights where colorful language was used towards said companies.
Every day, I continued to check my email, only to be disappointed; until, finally. I got some positive news. And guess which job it was from! You got that right, the office services specialist, which only paid $8.50 an hour. It wasn't anything that I was super excited about when I applied, but after all the rejections, an interview for a barely above minimum wage job sounded like Nirvana! So I emailed the manager back informing her of when I was available for an interview.
At the interview, I arrived about 25 minutes early, dressed in my dark pantsuit (in 95 degree weather). I had applied my make up in the car, and I could feel it melting on my face as I sat nervously reading a Good Parenting magazine. Several employees passed me, and I smiled politely, giving them a courteous nod of the head. Then, she walked up. The angel of my dreams! A bright, friendly woman called out "Cayman? Hi, I'm Shelly." I grasped her hand and dumbfounded, I introduced myself. As if she didn't know my name. She escorted me to her office where I took a seat and awaited the barrage of questions. I was not prepared for what came next.
She asked me about my skills and my weaknesses. She asked me what I had to offer the university. I mean, it was pretty typical as far as what I'd heard interviews were supposed to be. She asked me if I had any questions. I reviewed my list of questions I had for her, and checked them off as I asked. The really weird part, the part I wasn't prepared for, was how well we got along. I felt more like I was discussing a potential best friend rather than a potential job. That, I felt, had to be a good sign.
When the interview was over, an hour and a half later, I thanked her and she explained that it would be a few weeks before I heard anything. The first choice would be notified, then background checks would begin. So I went home, and I prepared to be turned down once again. I went back at my job search with added fervor. Then, I prayed. I prayed that no job offers that would hinder His progress would come available or write me back. And sure enough, I didn't get a single affirmative email or phone call after that interview. I continued to pray and wait, wait and pray. It was exhausting, again.
The Wednesday after Labor Day, I was sitting at my computer writing a blog. I was very proud of my blog. I felt good. I was just complaining to a friend about how the job was taking too long to respond back. That I must not have been the first choice. She assured me that it was probably just taking a long time because of the weather; not to mention, Labor Day weekend probably didn't help. Then, my phone started vibrating. I assumed it was a text. Then on the fourth buzz, I realized it was a call. So I ran to pick it up. Unrecognized number! Could it be? I pick up. "Hello?" "Hello. I'm looking for Cayman," the voice said, distantly. "This is she." Silence. "Hello?" "Hi," the voice said, closer now, "Is this Cayman?" "Yes, this is she." "This is Carrie from U. of so and so. I am calling because I need your consent to do a background check for the O.S.S. position." "OOOH, yes." "You need to go to your email, and open up the Background Check consent. Fill it out and hit save. It will come back here, automatically." "Ok, no problem." "Ok, have a good day." "You too! Thank you!" CLICK. I proceeded to jump up and down, waving my arms so wildly, I almost knocked over a coat rack. I could not contain the energy from my excitement. Finally, after four months, I had gotten somewhere. It was a step in the right direction. I still didn't have the job.
A day passed, and I had no word from the University. I considered writing them, but I figured I would give them a few days. Then, today, I open my email to see what I'd gotten. Lo and behold, my interviewer had messaged me. She just wanted to let me know where we were in the hiring process, and it would be a couple days before they got the results back. Thank you for your patience, she said. I sent her a message in return, stating that I was more than happy to be patient for such an excellent position. Approximately an hour later, she sent back the best news I have ever received: "Good news, Cayman. We'd like to offer you the position...Let me know when you can start. Have a great weekend." I was ecstatic! Normally, I am very logical about my reactions. This was in no way logical. I ran around the house like a dog straight out of the bathtub. Then I called everyone I knew. They congratulated me, of course, but even the congratulations could not ebb my awesome excitement at the news. I could not be tamed!
Anyways, all of this is to say, with a little prayer and dedication, you can do anything! Even if it takes months. Thank you for your time.
I began applying for any university jobs I could. A college close by was exceptionally desirable, so I applied for all that met that requirement. One day, I was especially disinterested in the job search, but I resolved myself to look and apply for just ONE job that I thought sounded especially interesting. That's exactly what I did. See, when I set a goal, I feel the need to meet that goal. Usually, I don't put time limits on my goals, though. haha! Anyways, I found a job at a university near my home for an office services specialist. It sounded perfect. You just needed a GED and a year of experience. A college grad should certainly be able to meet those standards, right? Yes! So, I applied.
Well, weeks went by of searching for other jobs. Applying for jobs with companies I knew nothing about. It got tiresome. I had basically given up. Months went by. I was exhausted! It is really terrible when you apply for over a hundred jobs and some of them don't even have the decency to tell you they aren't interested. And on top of that, it's very painful when company after company says "We regret to inform you that further consideration can not be extended at this time." What does that even mean?? I qualified for the job, but you can't even give me a chance? Trust me, there were many nights where colorful language was used towards said companies.
Every day, I continued to check my email, only to be disappointed; until, finally. I got some positive news. And guess which job it was from! You got that right, the office services specialist, which only paid $8.50 an hour. It wasn't anything that I was super excited about when I applied, but after all the rejections, an interview for a barely above minimum wage job sounded like Nirvana! So I emailed the manager back informing her of when I was available for an interview.
At the interview, I arrived about 25 minutes early, dressed in my dark pantsuit (in 95 degree weather). I had applied my make up in the car, and I could feel it melting on my face as I sat nervously reading a Good Parenting magazine. Several employees passed me, and I smiled politely, giving them a courteous nod of the head. Then, she walked up. The angel of my dreams! A bright, friendly woman called out "Cayman? Hi, I'm Shelly." I grasped her hand and dumbfounded, I introduced myself. As if she didn't know my name. She escorted me to her office where I took a seat and awaited the barrage of questions. I was not prepared for what came next.
She asked me about my skills and my weaknesses. She asked me what I had to offer the university. I mean, it was pretty typical as far as what I'd heard interviews were supposed to be. She asked me if I had any questions. I reviewed my list of questions I had for her, and checked them off as I asked. The really weird part, the part I wasn't prepared for, was how well we got along. I felt more like I was discussing a potential best friend rather than a potential job. That, I felt, had to be a good sign.
When the interview was over, an hour and a half later, I thanked her and she explained that it would be a few weeks before I heard anything. The first choice would be notified, then background checks would begin. So I went home, and I prepared to be turned down once again. I went back at my job search with added fervor. Then, I prayed. I prayed that no job offers that would hinder His progress would come available or write me back. And sure enough, I didn't get a single affirmative email or phone call after that interview. I continued to pray and wait, wait and pray. It was exhausting, again.
The Wednesday after Labor Day, I was sitting at my computer writing a blog. I was very proud of my blog. I felt good. I was just complaining to a friend about how the job was taking too long to respond back. That I must not have been the first choice. She assured me that it was probably just taking a long time because of the weather; not to mention, Labor Day weekend probably didn't help. Then, my phone started vibrating. I assumed it was a text. Then on the fourth buzz, I realized it was a call. So I ran to pick it up. Unrecognized number! Could it be? I pick up. "Hello?" "Hello. I'm looking for Cayman," the voice said, distantly. "This is she." Silence. "Hello?" "Hi," the voice said, closer now, "Is this Cayman?" "Yes, this is she." "This is Carrie from U. of so and so. I am calling because I need your consent to do a background check for the O.S.S. position." "OOOH, yes." "You need to go to your email, and open up the Background Check consent. Fill it out and hit save. It will come back here, automatically." "Ok, no problem." "Ok, have a good day." "You too! Thank you!" CLICK. I proceeded to jump up and down, waving my arms so wildly, I almost knocked over a coat rack. I could not contain the energy from my excitement. Finally, after four months, I had gotten somewhere. It was a step in the right direction. I still didn't have the job.
A day passed, and I had no word from the University. I considered writing them, but I figured I would give them a few days. Then, today, I open my email to see what I'd gotten. Lo and behold, my interviewer had messaged me. She just wanted to let me know where we were in the hiring process, and it would be a couple days before they got the results back. Thank you for your patience, she said. I sent her a message in return, stating that I was more than happy to be patient for such an excellent position. Approximately an hour later, she sent back the best news I have ever received: "Good news, Cayman. We'd like to offer you the position...Let me know when you can start. Have a great weekend." I was ecstatic! Normally, I am very logical about my reactions. This was in no way logical. I ran around the house like a dog straight out of the bathtub. Then I called everyone I knew. They congratulated me, of course, but even the congratulations could not ebb my awesome excitement at the news. I could not be tamed!
Anyways, all of this is to say, with a little prayer and dedication, you can do anything! Even if it takes months. Thank you for your time.
No comments:
Post a Comment