Sunday, September 9, 2012

The True Life of the American Teenager

                  As a parent, you are entitled to feelings of superiority on this issue; however, I beg you to hear me out. While I do not have children by blood, I do have friends in high school, and I would like to give them voices. You may feel that, as a parent, you are superior to your child. You know more than he/she could ever hope to know. This is certainly true, fore with age comes knowledge. In this world of unbounded technological advancement, though, it is important for you to keep up with what your child is exposed to. The media of the world is targeted towards young adults, these days, and I guarantee you it isn't painting an accurate picture of life.
               I have seen the shows "The Secret Life Of The American Teenager" to know that high school is being portrayed completely differently than what it really is. The teenage life on television is full of convenience and self centered compulsion! You may have noticed that there has been not only an increase in teen pregnancy, but a drastic drop in the age of teen pregnancies. This is probably because television, radio, and peers are all shoving sex in the faces of these teenagers as much as possible. You should be very worried about what your child is being exposed to! I mean, I grew up in an age where mini skirts and midriff tops were fashionable, so I can honestly say that sex appeal is the number one goal in high schools.
               To counter balance this, my suggestion is to converse with your child; take an active interest in his/her life and interests. I know this is the hardest step of being a parent. You don't want to be too controlling, and how do you stay interested when all he/she wants to reply are one word answers? Well, that is solely up to you. But don't fret. Just maintain good parenting skills. Keep up with them, no matter what. One day, your children will greatly appreciate it; I know I have. Besides, studies have shown that parents that keep a good balance of discipline and interest are far more likely to have successful children.

              Speaking of successful children, another problem in high school is the constant barrage of cliquey segregation and self deprecating images. Your child will possible be discouraged by the way he/she is not socially accepted into one group of friends or another. Make sure you know more than your fair share about what people your child interacts with. Assure your child that he/she is beautiful, and compliment him/her. Don't fail to point out the good things your child has going for him/her. Also, please, parents, please make sure you set him/her straight on what high school is really about. Make sure your child knows that high school is not about friends. It is preparing you for further education and the work force, just like in the old days. If your child has time to worry about what the other children are wearing, then maybe he/she needs some encouraging words from a family friend. Let your child know that the clothes you wear and the friends you have will all go in and out of fashion, grow old, and leave you on your own one day. What is truly important are the decisions your children make about their education. Encourage your child to look to the future. Maybe get him/her to sign up for volunteer programs, join an honor society, etc. Don't focus too much on grades, because type A children can have major psychological issues, but focus on what he/she can do now to prepare him/her for the future. Above all, just maintain that parental encouragement. That is the best thing you can do for your child. Don't push them into a corner, but definitely know their strengths and weaknesses.

               All of this being said, I know it makes little sense to listen to what I say. I am simply a college grad. What do I know about parenting?? Absolutely nothing. I only know from hindsight what I think I could have used more of as a teenager. A child needs multiple hands to guide him/her because there are many more hands pushing him/her in the wrong directions. That's why I say you should recruit friends and family as mentors. As well as coaches, leaders, etc. Just know where you stand as your child's only defense from the cruel world, and most of all learn from others' mistakes. Thank you for your time. I hope you find this blog insightful, if not enjoyable.


No comments: